Sunday, March 05, 2006

Constipation....Yet Again

I think that D will be dealing with constipation on and off for a long time, if not forever. She went about two weeks with great results. No straining, no fissures, no crying. In fact, it got to the point where almost every diaper I changed was pooped in. But we are back to about every 2-3 days with a bit of straining. I'm going to start pushing more fiber and see if it helps.

I wish I had an answer on this topic because I know there are lots of kids out there with cerebral palsy that deal with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I have read a few posts already, and I am not sure you will read this but...

My son has CP, and is 3 now - but all of the pics and descriptions you have given about D I have seen in my son.

The constipation is a huge one fro my wife and I with our son.

I can tell you that he uses Mirilax, and we relied on it for almost a year.

Recently we got a gait trainer from his thereapist and he spends most of the day walking around, which had REALLY helped the constipation issue - we only give the Mirilax once every few days instead of daily.

I think the walking has helped to motivate his bowels.

I have subscribed to your blog, keep up the great work.

If you have questions, since my son is now three, I am sure I can help.

Josephine said...

My daughter has spastic diplegic CP, and of course has problems with constipation. Every few weeks I think I've found the solution to this problem, and everything's great for a while and my daughter's pooping with no pain, but then it starts all over again. It's very frustrating!