Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sleep....Precious Sleep

So, nobody around our house is getting much sleep these days. Darsie has decided that she can only sleep when slammed up against me. We have spent MANY night throughout the past two years in the recliner, on the couch, etc..etc. Let me just say that this girl will not sleep on her own. I think I can count on one hand how many times she has slept in her crib throughout the night in the past six months.

I've tried the Hyland sleep remedy - no luck. Friday my parents brought over a toddler bed that they were no longer using and we tried Darsie out in that. I ended up sleeping in her bed and she slept on the floor.

I'm getting very frustrated with the no sleep/poor sleep issue. I'm almost to the point of putting her in her crib and letting her cry. It doesn't seem like a fun option, but perhaps the best at this point. I just don't know.

With a face as cute as this, it is hard to be tough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Congratulations on your preggo belly. How fun! :-) Sorry we haven't spoke again, I enjoyed it for the quick time last time. I think you should start letting her cry it out. It is going to be terrible in the near term, but something you are going to need to start doing desperately before you have baby #2!! We did some tough love with the twins early on, and they are GREAT sleepers now.

Can't wait to catch up!
Debbi (from CT- mom of Sophie and Sally) www.babyhomepages.net/kritzmantwins

Steve said...

Hi Shannon.

Great blog!

I recently started a
cerebral palsy blog
along the same lines as yourself. We found out our daughter has cerebral palsy a few months ago having spent 5 months in NICU as a 26 weeker with her twin brother.

The sleep issues are a MAJOR problem. Our son sleeps like a log, but she is awake every 30 mins/hour throughout the entire night. We're looking to do the 'extinction method' of controlled crying (as recommended by the consultant paediatrician).

Sounds harsh, but there is overwhelming evidence of major long term benefits for both baby and parents. I'm going to feature a day-by-day account when we start it next month.

Take care and hope you get Darsie to settle soon.

Steve.

Steve said...

Hi Shannon.

Great to hear from you over on my blog!

No problem ... feel free to place a link on your blog.

Once I've worked out how to do it, I'll do the same!

Tell you what, if you get time, would you be able to drop me an email to show me how to do it (address is in my blog profile)?!

Cheers.

Steve.