Saturday, May 27, 2006

Another Food Post - Mashed Potato Hash Browns

I was scrambling a bit for a breakfast concept this morning, but luckily I had a carton of eggs, cheese, bread, onions, and some leftover mashed potatoes from dinner on Thursday.

I put together an egg and cheese omelet for Jeff (I am not a fan of eggs) and made mashed potato hash browns out of the mashed potatoes and some chopped green onion. I kind of got the idea from watching Rachel Ray and her smashed potato leftover uses, but this is how I did it.

I microwaved the leftover mashed potatoes until they were somewhat warm. I didn't want to risk having hash browns with a cold center. I chopped some green onion and mixed it in to the warmed potatoes.

In a pan on the stove, I melted some butter and olive oil over medium heat (if we had had bacon I would have used the drippings). I made little tiny cakes out of the potatoes and plopped them into the butter/oil mixture and cooked up crisp on both sides, seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. Once they were done, I plated them and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. They took about 4 minutes to crisp on both sides. They didn't really stay together like cakes, but they were DELICIOUS!

So, the moral of the story, save your leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know you said you are not a fan of eggs but I thought I'd mention that as I have been surfing around I have found that most hash browns recipes that are made with left over mash have an egg added. I guess this helps them bind so they don't fall apart when you cook them. Anyway just thought I'd let you know. Have a great day.