Thursday, May 18, 2006

Hydrotherapy

I've noticed a lot of searches for information on hydrotherapy and cerebral palsy. I've also noticed that I haven't been writing a lot about cerebral palsy lately. So anyways, here goes.

D has been doing hydrotherapy for a couple of months now. At first I didn't think it was much more than going to swim in a lukewarm hot tub. D and I both get in the water with her OT and they would just "play". But as time has passed, my opinion of hydrotherapy has changed drastically. D is now crawling, she is walking with support really well, she uses her right hand more, she has more flexibility in her arms, she has just improved quite a lot in the past few weeks.

Of course I attribute this to more than just hydrotherapy. I think that we are using a good approach by being pretty agressive with Darsie's therapy. We don't particularly enjoy going to therapy four times a week, but if that is what helps my daughter, so be it. I'd go twice everyday if need be.

So, I guess the point of this long winded entry is that if you have a child with cerebral palsy and you get the opportunity to try hydrotherapy, I would recommend it. It isn't a miracle cure, but I believe that with other therapy, it will have positive effects.

No comments: